Narrated Abud Darda: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Allah has sent down both the disease and the cure, and He has appointed a cure for every disease, so treat yourselves medically, but use nothing unlawful.
IMAQ Activities & Projects:
- January 2010. Six health professionals attended a meeting to discuss the IMAQ concept and decided unanimously that IMAQ should be formed. Several meeting were held with a wider group along the way. An interim executive was elected and the official launch was held in July 2010.
- 31 July 2010. IMAQ Launch at Michaels Restaurant. See Launch page.
- September 2010. IMAQ became member of FIMA, the Federation of Islamic Medical Associations.
- September 2010 - FIMA Conference in Lebanon - attended by Dr Adel El Mezin.
- September 2010. IMAQ executive met with Prof Mohammed El-Amin Ahmed (the exceutive member of FIMA) during his recent visit to present a paper at the Australian Society of Ultrasound Medicine (ASUM),where the activities of FIMA and the role of IMAQ in networking the local Muslim healthcare professional was discussed.
- 31 October 2010. IMAQ partnered with the Islamic Council of Queensland (ICQ) and many other Islamic Societies, community organisations, the Lions Club and the Rotary club to host a fund raising fete at the Islamic College of Brisbane, for the victims of the recent Pakistan floods. The fete was held on the 31 October 2010. An amount of $ 40 000,00 was raised at the fete and the funds were distributed directly to projects to build new homes for the flood victims, to the Red Cross, to the Fred Hollows Foundation and to the Imran Khan Foundation.
- 31 October 2010. IMAQ held a health screening stall at the fete and provided the First Aid services on the day. The stall was well attended by many on the day, and basic health screening was provided, health advice was given and a wide range of health information was distributed.
- 10 January 2011. The 2011 Brisbane floods was the worst in the last 36 years and caused extensive destruction and mayhem to many the communities of the Lockyer Valley and all along the Brisbane River. The floods brought together all communities in one of the biggest network of Volunteers in city has ever seen. IMAQ members joined Muslims Volunteers which was form immediately after floods to assist affected individuals and communities. Our members were seen across the community volunteering in every area possible. IMAQ also arranged free tetanus immunisations to all volunteers.
- 13-18 September 2011. FIMA Conference in Jakarta Indonesia. The FIMA Council meetings take place on the first two days of the conference, followed by the clinical meeting on Geriatric Medicine over the next 3 days. IMAQ was represented at the conference by executive members Dr Mohammed Iqbal Sultan and Dr Adel El Mezin, as well as members Dr Cassim Peer and Dr Mohammed Khateeb. Dr Sultan did a presentation on IMAQ and its activities at the council meetings, whilst Dr Khateeb did a presentation at the clinical meeting on Geriatric medicine.
- 4 November 2011 - Rockhampton meeting. Dr Mohammed Iqbal Sultan met with a group of doctors in Rockhampton over dinner and introduced the IMAQ concept to them. The meeting was kindly hosted by Dr Fatima Ashrafi, and was well attended by the local doctors. Rockhampton has about 30 Muslim Doctors who are providing an exceptional service and most are young recent migrant doctors at the Rockhampton Base Hospital.
- 10 December 2011 - MCCA Meeting. The IMAQ executive met with Hassan Ibrahim, the Mortgage Manager of MCCA. MCCA provides financial services and home loans. IMAQ has secured a discounted rate for home loans to our members. Insha-Allah there will be a more formal presentation to our members in the new year.
- April 2012 - IMAQ ($3600) in conjunction with several organisations raised funds to purchase an Eye Gaze System for Dzenan Nuhovic, a local who became quadriplegic after a motor vehicle accident.
- 11-15 September 2012 - FIMA Conference attended in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
- 19 October 2013 - CAMBODIA Qurbani Project Eid-ul-adha 2012. IMAQ sent across 70 shares of Qurbani to Cambodia in partnership with IMA Cambodia
- Upcoming Project - Sponsoring and supporting Clinics in parts of Cambodia
- July 2013 - Alhamdulillah IMAQ co-ordinated the donation of new hearing aids to Brother Mansour Abdullah. Br Mansour is a refugee in our community and had significant hearing impairment. He is a student and was having significant difficulties in his studies as well as hearing regular conversation. Audiologist Cameron Hunter of Mark Paton & Associates (based at the Family Health Clinic in Gatton) kindly co-ordinated this. Whist IMAQ had raised the funding for this project, Mark Paton very generously agreed to sponsored the hearing aids. The initial quote for these were over $7000.
- July 2013 - IMAQ members assisted with fund raising for the new Musjid in Toowoomba.
- July - August 2013 - Discussions with IMA Cambodia are in progress to assist with running clinics in remote areas on Phnom Penh, Cambodia Insha-Allah.
- 25 August 2013 - IMAQ donated all the furniture to the Holland Park Mosque for their new Madressa Imam's quarters.
Alhamdulillah the 2013 Cambodia Qurbani Project was very successful with our members contributing 77 shares with a total contribution of almost $7000.
The Qurbani was very well received by the local Communities in the small villages in Cambodia.
Dr Sos Mousine, President of IMAC, sent a very comprehensive report of the Qurbani including photos and certificates of appreciation for each Qurbani performed.
This was well received by our members who could see the images of their qurbani being performed.